2.08.2007
She's A Classic




Here's an understated stunner for you - a vintage 1960s Beckman's cocktail dress from Red Pony Vintage. Simply put, I adore this dress! Made of a heavy sage-tinted silver heavy rayon, she features gorgeous rhinestone buttons and belt that has a pretty bow. The cocktail dress measures 40-42/30/42, and with the front button-up feature, it's a very attractively cut dress that will slim and elongate, especially with that slightly flared skirt. The V-neckline and the cut of the shoulders broaden the upper torso, which, in addition to that bow-belt, help trim the waistline.

Now, I know a lot of modesty fans are completely against bare arms, but to me, this is just nonsensical, not to mention completely impractical (baring 80% of one's breasts, however, is neither sensible or practical). They're arms, not sexual organs (or body parts turned into symbols of sexuality). Personally, I overheat rather quickly, so if I'm not wearing a sleeveless top or dress already, I wear layers that include a camisole (New York & Company makes some that offer good coverage) so I can cool off quickly and in a ladylike manner - this being opposed to the ever-classy "airing out" wings or, better yet, fanning beneath one's arms. Not a pretty sight! A fitted jean jacket or pretty cardigan (especially embellished ones) can be stylish and comfortable, worn to the office, church, movies, coffeehouse, or restaurant - and removed when necessary.

Anyhow - bare arms, as far as I am concerned, are not immodest or rebellious. I don't see what the big deal is, to be quite honest. (A bare-shouldered outfit at the dinner table, however, is immodest, because from certain perspectives - from behind a tall dish or if she has a tendency to slump, for instance - she appears to be wearing nothing at all. Nor should shoulders be bared during church services, not really, unless service is outside and it's extraordinarily warm - but then one may will want something draped around her shoulders to protect delicate skin from the evil rays of the sun. Hence the beauty of the soft, diaphonous wrap and a whole new avenue of style.)

This beauty is at Red Pony Vintage, where you'll find vintage to tickle all of your fancies. Happy shopping!

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

loooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeee the new look!!!!!!

Now I'm feeling like a total slacker for not getting mine all dolled up!!

Blogger Jen said...

Thanks! :)

It took a while to find a good template, and editing it was...well, my eyeballs REALLY hurt right now. ;)

Blogger Elena said...

I'm with Anne! Luuuuuurrrrvvvvvv the new digs!!!

So... how do I spiffy up my lil' corner of the blogosphere? :o]

Blogger Lady Babs said...

This dress is simple yet elegant. Thanks for the pic and 411!

I would love to live in that! ;)

here's to some more shopping!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer