5.14.2007
Modest Swimwear That Is Still Cute? Yes!

Well, it was a bit cooler here today, but we all know swimsuit season is nearly here (and is probably already here for many of you). Unfortunately, it seems that swimwear is less and less 'wear' and more and more 'cover only what we absolutely have to'. Even women who normally don't shy away from baring nearly all tend to be a little skittish about the scanty - in more ways than one - selection in bathing suits.

Fortunately, this year suits with better coverage are back in a big way. Full coverage equals class and glamour on the beach and by the pool this year (but let's face it, certain styles never go out of style, they just fall to our continual favour toward the new). Styles reminiscent of the ones worn by beauties such as Betty Grable, Esther Williams, Marilyn Monroe, and Marie McDonald are the look to be sporting this season - and wouldn't you know it, having more than three teeny triangles and some string on means you can actually participate in more sporting yourself!


A fine example is this Newport swim top and bottom from Shade Clothing. Shade offers several different styles of top, and this is probably my favourite due to the hint of 40s in the thick ties that get a rouched look when you tie them. The top has a built-in bra with removable padding and while the torso is described as 'loose fitting', it's obviously fitting enough to be flattering. If you take a closer look at the bottoms, you'll see the 4" slimming band about the waist to streamline your appearance.

The top is $35.50 and comes in aqua, black, olive, and navy. The $22.50 bottoms come aqua and olive as well as black, navy, a dark chocolate, red, steel grey and royal blue - so you can match your top or add a black or red bottom to that aqua tank, or even buy two different coloured bottoms to match your mood. At about $60 for a suit, this is close to what you'd pay elsewhere, and the quality isn't often that great. These are pretty, chic suits made in a classic style that really will last.

I was happy to see tankinis appearing a few years ago, and was really hopeful that we'd see the classic, super-glam swim looks of the 30s, 40s, and 50s make a comeback. Pair one of these lovelies from Shade (there are several swimsuit varieties, so if you don't like this one be sure to check out the others) with big sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat to protect your skin and eyes, and not only will you be lovely and modest, you'll be recalling an age of style much deserving of a comeback.

Labels:



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jen -- these are adorable! I love the straps -- stylish, but wide enough to make one feel properly supported! :) I'm a big fan of tankinis -- especially for my daughter. They are so cute (I get them for Jami at Lands' End) and easy for little girls to deal with when nature calls. (A wet one-piece swimsuit is a pain to get on and off, you know.) LOL

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, you know, I didn't even remember the troubles caused by the ladies' room and one-pieces...good point!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, your taste is impeccable :) I snagged a Jantzen skirted tankini at Costco last month for a mere $20 and my mom got a low cut (in the thigh) Speedo swimsuit there for the same price. Don't go to the Jantzen website (not modest at all) but if you type Jantzen and tankini into eBay, you'll find the suit I got (in blues with tropical floral print) and lots of others like it. It's still not quite as modest on top as I'd like but since I don't have cleavage, I can sort of get away with it. I'm also thinking of mixing and matching it with the pink halter I still from my maternity suit.

Blogger Jen said...

The Esther Williams website has some really cute skirted tankinis as well. As a skirt-and-dress gal, I think they're fun and cute to wear. Plus the mix & match factor - gotta love that.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a link for VERY modest swimsuits:
- modestswimsuits.co.uk


Blogger Jen said...

Well...those are kind of overkill, asafora, at least to me. I suppose I can see why some cultures would require that, but I can't imagine it being comfortable in temperature or as far as movement goes...

Blogger Amy Tenney said...

Modbe sells really cute and MODEST swim suits. Their tankinis are LONG and offer great coverage and support on top. The styles are adorable as well! Everything is on sale right now too in their HUGE summer blowout. Visit my website to check it out:

https://www.modbeclothing.com/amy

Thanks for your awesome blog!

Blogger Andrea said...

I really love Shade Clothing too! So much so I became a Personal Shopper! Feel free to use my PS CODE MAU23780 to get 10% off your first order and 5% off each additional order!

Blogger Swim Junkie said...

Hi Jen! I just stumbled across this new line of extremely adorable modest swimsuits! The website is http://www.ReySwimwear.com and the tagline is "Who Says it has to be Itsy Bitsy?" The suits are Audrey Hepburn inspired and the quality is GREAT (I bought 3 already and want to buy more). Enjoy!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer